Re: Pond Question

  • Subject: Re: Pond Question
  • From: Josh Spece <jspece@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 17:46:48 -0500

Hi Narda,

I'm not sure what is eatting the lettuce, but I think you can rule out
the fish and tadpoles.  They wouldn't be able to eat anything above the
water very well. Usually if the fish eat them there will only be little
pieces left.

It may be snails, but I would expect them to damage other plants in the
pond, as well.

Did you find anything after dark?

NardaA@aol.com wrote:
> Anyone out there have any idea what could be eating my water lettuce.
> Snacking occurs almost immediately after placing new plants in the pond.
> There is four large feeder goldfish and two tadpoles in there.  A few water
> snails but nothing else that I am aware of.  The damage is to the edge of the
> leaf to the middle of the leaf and to the little babies.  Thanks to anyone
> who has ideas on this and do I give up water lettuce?  N.

  ~~~      In The Country Garden & Gifts       ~~~
      Specializing in Hostas and Water Gardens

                Josh's Garden Web

         "There are always two choices.
        Two paths to take.  One is easy.
          And its only reward is that