RE: Midwest Convention

Ok  the disadvantages of TC are (opinion follows):

With the huge propagations done thru TC not all of
the plants will look the same or simialr.  We've been
down this road before with Francee and Patriot and June.
There are sooo many variations of the origonal plants
coming out of this mass TC'ing and the plants are being
pushed immediately to market that they are not being
properly culled and just about anything hits the shelf.
So you could buy one hosta as hosta X and somebody else
could pick up the same labled hosta and they are not
the same let alone true to name.

2ndly- Not all plants retain the vigour of the origonal
plant.  Making them less hardy, less resiliant, less of
a plant.  This is ofcourse not true to all hosta TCing
but it does affect some hosta negatively.

3rdly-  Folks who spend years waiting to see if a new
seedling or sport is garden worthy spend much time and
effort and MONEY making sure they get out a great plant.
Then they go to auction or sell the plant.  Somebody
gets ahold of it and BOOM sha BOOM they are being sold
at Walmart and the Origonator recoup's nada for their
time and investment.  So why breed and into new hosta?
Where is the incentive, beyond pure love for the plant?

Patent's cost much bucks, so to patent a plant it might
not be cost effective especially if one try's to enforce
it.  As many plants sport in TC I think that If say I
had a sport which I was watching for years and thought
about spending thousands of bucks to Patent I'd have to
think to myself that with all of the TC sporting going
on and those plants being turned around immediately to
TC that by the time I patented my plant and tried to
recoupe some $ it might already be avail under a diff

Just a couple of long winded opinions.