RE: Oh My Heart hosta

  • Subject: RE: Oh My Heart hosta
  • From: "Lori Johnson" <IJATSON@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:09:46 -0400

Maybe the best idea is a combination of Jim's point #2 while keeping in mind Dan's very realistic scenario below. Supply and demand has a huge role in the economics of your decision, but by either method, you will probably only get two or possibly three years of decent return on the investment you have made over the years. Narda also has a point in flooding the market, but then you have pretty much taken in the majority of royalties in one year.
Your other option is of course to never release the plant except to those people you trust on a personal level to not sell or share it with anyone else. All joking aside, (and as much as I pester you every time I see you) I personally would think it a shame to never have a chance at utilizing this plant in hybridizing programs all over the world since it is absolutely spectacular!  Don't take this the wrong way, I know you have a family to feed (as I do), but would'nt it be some payment to you that you have promoted your own hybridizing goals of FLOWERS & BLOOMS and increase your own stature in the world of "The Hosta People".... (you know, those people that other just want to sit and listen to for one tidbit of knowledge, advise etc.)? I'm rambling... what ever you decide, I hope that you come up with a solution that meets your financial goals and GETS ONE IN MY GARDEN!!!  :0)