Roots!

  • Subject: Roots!
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:40:49 EDT

Hi All,
It seems that if I could stop making work for myself that I might get
something done.

Potted up all the hostas under the downed tree.  While doing this I found
clay pots at a real good price and bought a bunch of big ones.  Then I
decided to look at a couple of the hostas under the birches that were planted
in pots just one year or so ago.  Some of you said this would happen and you
were right, the roots came through every hole around the bottom and filled
the lower half of the pot!

So then I started digging up all those hostas and repotting them into clay
pots to go back into the ground.  Guess what, if the hole was not big enough
to put the clay pot into then that is just too bad because I do not have the
strength to dig through the roots to make the holes larger or to make new
holes so forget that!

Tom, if you are reading this, there is hope under a birch but don't be numb
skull like me, do it right the first time and before the roots get too big,
either buy the agro liners or pots with no holes around the edges.

So, am I making progress, no but I am learning a lot.  Most of my hostas may
be in pots for the winter again this year, so what else is new.  My backyard
looks like Fred Sanford lives here but I figure the clay pots are way more
decorative than the black plastic.  Then tomorrow is another day.

Why, oh why, did I think that I wanted daylilies???
N.

Oh yeah, the rabbits have decided to just hop up into my big pots to graze on
the coleus and impatients and what ever looks tasty!!!!!!!