Re: Oh My Heart hosta

  • Subject: Re: Oh My Heart hosta
  • From: "Ransom Lydell" <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:03:39 -0400

Michael
Blind luck.  Pete Ruh and I were ( around 1985 or 6 ) walking through his garden, and I spotted some crested scapes.  not all that unusual occasionally, but I had not seen it before.  He said that the pods seldom formed seed, and picked one to show me.  This one had many ( around 100) plump seeds all black and ripe.  He gave it to me to grow.  I got almost 100 plants from this, and lined them out in a field row, the second year.  I think I first saw blooms on this one about 4 years later.  I thought something else had grown in the row, and hardly could believe what I was looking at.  By the way Rapture, and Golden Princess, both were also in this batch of seedlings.  If I had been culling then as I do now, it would have surly been thrown away, but fortunately it was forgotten until it bloomed. I was sure it was a one time freak, but it has proved otherwise.  It had bloomed with faciated scapes every year since.
Thanks
Ran