Re: FW: feedback

  • Subject: Re: FW: feedback
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:53:44 -0700 (PDT)

Mary:

>This order was held in customs for about two weeks.

Did you have all the proper paper work?  I haven't had too many
problems with sending plants to Canada, although I have had some minor
problems with some countries - Australia and New Zealand are fussy and
the France can be a problem, but then France is almost always a
problem.  I shipped some daylilies to France, put the phyto in an
envelop and then the buyer emails me saying the customes people can't
find the phyto.  It was in an enevlop right on top of the plants!

Do you use express mail?  It's expensive, but it is quick.  A three
pound box is around $20.  What you want to do is mail express mail
packages on Friday.  They arrive at their destination on Monday which
gives pleanty of time to go through customes and get to the customer.
I've found that if I send plants express mail on Fridays they usually
get to the customer by Wednesday if all the paper work is correct and
you don't run into a customs inspector who is having a bad hair day.

Speaking of bad hair day customs inspectors I once sent some lily
seeds to Australia and they burnt them because I failed to right
"Lilium" on each and every packet of seeds.  I just put "lily seeds
genus Lilium" on the declaration.

Joe Halinar