Re: (no subject)

In a message dated 07/13/2001 10:19:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
NardaA@aol.com writes:

<< as long as it freezes and thaws evenly the clay pot will not
 break down.   >>

I tried one large clay pot in the ground several years ago, and it was
totally shattered by spring.  The clay will not expand with the freezing and
thawing that occurs in our zone 5 winters.  I use extra large plastic pots
for small hostas and some perennials where I have completely removed the
bottom, and then recovered with root inhibitor fabric.  I draw the fabric
taunt and tape with electric tape about three inches from the top of the
receptacle.  To doubly insure the fabric remains very close to the plastic
pot, I leave enough clear space in the planting hole to tamp in hard the soil
around the pot with an old ax handle as a final measure.  So far, this has
worked very well for me - no roots in my planted pots!  I do the same with
the large plastic drums I have planted for large hostas.

Patsy Stygall