Re: Breeders' Rights

My guess is that it's not easy.  First Look is obviously trying to establish
itself as a link between growers and breeders, but I think that's going to take
a few years.  Beyond that, if you havn't established a "name" for yourself as a
breeder, and don't have an avenue to get your plant noticed, I think it would
be hard to find someone to sell it for you.

When I introduced Satisfaction, nobody paid any attention to it because they
had never heard of me.  The best offer I could get was to give it to someone to
tc and they would give me a tray of plants free.  I was selling them for $200
each and they were offering me plants worth $2-300 at most. Tony Avent was the
first person who recognized how good it was and helped me get it beyond my
limited market, but it's still not well known.  Shady Oaks is doing it now and
it probably won't be long before a lot of people are selling it.  If I hadn't
been able to sell it myself, I can't see how I could have made much on it.

There are a number of people who are always looking for good new plants, Naylor
Creek, Green Hill, Tony, and others, but I suspect they are very picky and they
probably have a lot of people offering them plants to choose from.  People talk
a lot about how many new plants are introduced these days, but I suspect that
they are spending more time reading the new registrations than actually trying
to find the plants.  Most of the new plants never see widespread distribution.