  • Subject: nematodes
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:39:48 EDT

Hi All,

Monday as I was slaving in my yard I caught a side ways glance of Dick Ward
and notice brown streaking on the leaves.  After taking a quick look I
decided it was infested with nematodes and got a trash bag and removed it
from the garden patch and am filled with anxiety that more will appear.

After checking out the picture of nematode damage in Mark Zilis's book I am
sure that I was correct.  This is one of my oldest plants and I am wondering
why they are just showing up now?

Having lost a substantial size Dick Ward I am looking at all the rest of the
hostas in that patch with apprehension.  What do I do?  Will scooping the
soil out in that area be of any help.  I know that none of the commercially
available pesticides are adequate.  My sister who owns a farm and is licensed
to spray says that she has nothing that would work against the things, but
she says that she would at least use her best poison.........at least that is

Just keep in mind everyone that tis the season so everyone keep an eye out.