Maria Plater-Zyberk

  • Subject: Maria Plater-Zyberk
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:15:03 EDT

It is with great sadness I report that I spoke with her son Bob today and found out that she passed away last July 2, 2000. I have been trying to keep in touch with her but the year surely slipped by much too fast. I last saw her when she and her son visited us in Hockessin about 2 years ago.

She was 89 years old and had been weakening from congestive heart failure. Her son Bob and his family had moved back into her home with her to take care of her, about 3 years ago. She had taken last summer's heat poorly, and spent one of her last day's entertaining visitors in her garden. She was always gracious with gardening guests.

He said a number of local gardening friends saw the obituary and he thought someone had called me, but they hadn't.

I plan to stop by tomorrow and try and get a copy of the obituary, which I will post. Those of you who had the pleasure of meeting Maria know why hostas are friendship plants.

She was one of the pioneers in hybridizing, although she didn't register any herself. I was pleased to bring my mother to meet her years ago, as she had corresponded with Mom during the 1960's in the early days of the American Hosyta Society. August Moon was her favorite hosta - many in Michigan can be thankful she started my mother on that plant, which we then moved in large quantites due to its vigor.

bruce