RE: Rain at Last

  • Subject: RE: Rain at Last
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <mc_hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:51:25 -0400

The extra rain that we have had this year has made a big difference in out hostas. Some are still growing and for the first time ever I have had rebloom in plants like Niagara Fall, Lakeside Mom and several seedlings. Even pod parents that are loaded with their fruit are putting up new shoots. All of this helps to help me get over the fact that the rabbits are no longer those cute little bunnies. Yesterday I discovered that they had cut peduncles loaded with pods that it took me four weeks work to pollinate. At first I thought it surely was Friday the thirteenth but the calendar told me otherwise. I am just thankful the 90% of the pods are in growing houses.
Now I need to ask just how long can these grow in sugar water?  I have never found it necessary to use the solution for more than two weeks. First I cleaned the jars with Clorox and then trimmed the peduncle before placing the jar in a window. Any other suggestions would be welcome. By the way I told all of you last summer how the houses had settled here because of the drought. I can now open sliding doors that had not worked for two years. If the rains last for a few more months, we may all most get back to normal.