(no subject)

  • Subject: (no subject)
  • From: BBROWNJ@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 23:16:48 EDT

Glen asked me to post this to the Open Robin. Here is your chance to help the
Journal.

Date:    Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:44:51 +0100
From:    Glen Williams <gw1944@VERMONTEL.NET>
Subject: Your Questions Please

                                Questions Wanted

I would  really appreciate as many questions as possible from the
hosta-robin-people for the new Hosta Journal Column.  The title of the
column was going to be Facts and Opinions on Hostas.  There are some other
good suggestions out there so I will hold off  with a final title. But, I
mention  the original title because it suggests  just what we are looking
for:   questions which can be answered with facts as well as questions
which will tolerate only opinions. Much of hostadom is still at the opinion
stage....but making steady and stoloniferous process  toward facts. Any
question and answer column needs to respond to both.

The audience for such a column is the general hosta  rank and file
membership, an audience that probably is not as obsessive/compulsive as
many of us are on the hosta robins.They have a real life from May -
September....and don't  raise seedlings in the winter.  They are good
people who simply would like to learn more with just a little effort. We
aim to please. Then they will buy more hostas, become obsessed , and name
their children after  prominent hostas.

There have been a lot of  wonderful questions and answers over the past few
years on the robins. Any of those  (with the response) would be a great
resource. The next resource is you and what you've always wanted to ask ,
did , but got no answer, or were afraid to ask, because  you did not want
anyone to know that  you didn't know what a chimera or a peduncle  was.
Perhaps it is the unasked questions that you did not want to be seen asking
because they appeared so basic i.e. watering, fertilizing,
transplanting.......that need asking.    All is fair game for this column.
It won't be a vehicle for hosta politics, but certainly wanting to know
something about hosta history , our early and later day  hybridizers,
consumer information, questions about plants and hosta people...it's wide
open, with the one exception.

So please send me a list of your questions  ( even if they have been
answered previously), subjects you would like to see explored through
questions, opinion questions, fact questions, rumors, myths.....nearly
anything  that the general, non-rabid gardener would want to know about
hostas.  Maybe some questions for rabid hosta gardeners would be a good
thing too(there must be some short answers to some  short scientific
questions).  You can send them to me privately or publicly,  e-mail address
; gw1944@vermontel.net , phone 802-885-2839, or by snail mail : Glen
Williams, 20 Dewey St., Springfield , Vermont 05156.

The weekend is nearly here. Search the nooks and crannies of your mind. If
you want the questions published anonymously that  can be done.  I hope to
be looking at 100's of questions by Sunday.  Then I will start the search
for those people who can answer the questions.  Thanks and thanks again.
glen W.

From the heart of summer in Vermont.... where it is cool and sunny and all
the tourists raise their hands to ask directions.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156