  • Subject: MOTHER NATURE KNOWS...........
  • From: JMFLIES@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 20:06:20 EDT

Maybe, just maybe, Mother Natures DOES know what she is doing.  Hmmmm, did I ever doubt her!

Am busy cutting scapes from my slaughtered plants (putting it mildly), and making note of the new foliage that the plant has put out.  Many of my plants either had soil washed up to the crown and needed to be pulled back, or needed the root system covered. I thought I had done a pretty good job of rectifying this when cutting the foliage only to find some plants that still needed a little work.  To my amazement, I have actually found plants that are putting up new growth just as if it were the first time for the year.  I don't mean a second flush, some of this actually looks like crowns.  Is this something that is always going on with some of the plants?  And, we just don't realize it because we are to enamored with the foliage. Or is this 'survival of the fetus' in the stress that the plant went through and only happens in this kind of situation?

Am finding all this quite interesting.  But do not recommend going out and just cutting of the plant to merely see what happens.  It hurts to much.

Talk about getting upfront and personal with each and every plant, I have.  First it was the joy of seeing each and everyone emerging.  Then it was time for the spring weeding, which was just completed prior to the storm.  Then it was the heartbreak of cutting each and everyone off and trying to keep any new flush that might be there, along with digging it back out or covering roots.  Now it is cutting the scapes to keep the energy into the plant to help with the trauma.  Man, please do not forward this to my children.  They might tell you that this is more attention then they ever received.

Thanks to everyone for the input and comforting words over the past four weeks.

Looking up in Iowa :>)   -  Joyce

'The Friendship Plant'