Re: Happy 4th

I don't know why you are so upset.  I kind of don't like the under God addition because I came of age to vote when Eisenhower was running and it was not part of the pledge then.  Not all the years I went to Catholic schools, where we indeed said the pledge, or public school after.  Where we also said the pledge.
The thing about separation of church and state in the constitution is about having a national church like Britain does.  Goodness knows Great Britain has enough separatist congregations, and one of them came over here to found America. But there is no established American church where it is the law, more or less.  So all this turmoil and complaint is sort of useless.
And isn't this about hostas, anyhow?  Mine are doing quite well, though something has bitten them. And I have duly put out poison, which I hate to do.
Ann James
A really old curmudgeon living in Conroe, Texas