Re: Potting soils

I can't be of any help.  We use premixed soils here.  It's too much trouble to mix our own.

Dan & Lu Nelson wrote:
Lu and I are going to start selling hostas next spring and we are going to start digging and potting up soon.
We would love some feedback on potting soils. I can get 70 cubic yards of ground pine bark for $850 delivered. It is available fine ground and 1/2 inch ground. Which to use? Add compost and sand? or not?
I'm looking to the professions growers on this list for some feedback. We will be potting into one and two gallon pots.
Any tips on pH testing of potting soils, lime, gypsum and pH of irrigation water would be greatly appreciated.
We promise we won't run anyone out of business!
Dan & Lu Nelson
Pixie Forrest
Auburn GA