Re: Rain, or the lack of, was Virus?

  • Subject: Re: Rain, or the lack of, was Virus?
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:17:20 EDT

In a message dated 7/18/02 3:35:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
annfree@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 I was a little concerned when I read the posts about putting new plants in
 sterilized pots and soil, but hey, it's done.  And those little fellows were
 growing in used dirt in the first place.  Can't hurt.

Ann, the reason for using sterile pots and soil is to cut down on the
incidence of weeds as well as fungus etc.  I don't think it makes a big
difference, but if you have hundreds of pots and they start sprouting weeds
then you have a major job on your hands.  Or you can wait until they go down
and then spray with round up and apply a pre emergent.  I have pulled weeds
out of pots that had completely filled the pot and was working on strangling
the hosta.  It is a mess.

Keep the babies, I can't pull them up myself, there are some greats that were
introduce by Mildred Seaver and some of the rest of the oldies that came up
the very same way.  N.

Narda Miller
z5
Fairfield, OH