Hosta Meander & heat

  • Subject: Hosta Meander & heat
  • From: ctuttle39@juno.com
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:44:18 -0400

Hi Glenn,

Always appreciate your comments and a current look at your Hosta - and
Cornelia's too.

Just returned from outside, where the heat index is to be 103F today in
Columbus, OH.  One of the nicest Hosta in my garden at the moment, and
little effected by the heat, is 'Blue Mouse Ears', which is a miniature,
dark blue, and just might be a tetraploid based on the feel of its very
thick leaves.  Nice little fellow.

Frank H., you often can track the heat index's affect on your Hosta
fertility by looking at the scapes.  You will see big gaps, which
correspond to a period of high heat.  Often holds true in the pollination
of corn, too, when we see gaps in kernels on the cob corresponding to
high heat.  I am sure this applies to other plants as well.  You are
saying that there are no scapes - question, should there be a scape on
the specific plant at this time??  If a longipes or other late bloomer,
it is way too early.  Need to know the heritage of the plant and when it
"normally" sends up a scape and blooms to make any judgement of the
effect of the heat dormant period.

Jim Hawes wrote an article a few years ago about growing Hosta in
Florida, where he was living at the time.  From memory, as I recall the
Hosta plant needs ~6 weeks of constant TEMPERATURE under 40F.  Don't
recall the daylight cycle involvement, but that may be a factor, too.

Only Florida producer of Hosta of which I am aware is a TC house - and
that is all indoors under controlled conditions.  I think many of us are
suffering under the same conditions that you are this summer - very hot
and dry.

Charles, who is indoors today