Re: Potting soils

I know this topic goes back a while, but a salesman just brought us some new potting mix to try and since the fact sheet just happened to have the ingredients listed, here goes:

65% aged pine bark
21% peat moss
7% perlite

It seems like a fairly decent mix, though I wouldn't mind an even higher percentage of bark.  I'm not sure what good the perlite and vermiculite do in a mix that would normally only be used for a year or so.  Frankly, I think if I was doing it, I'd probably go 75-80% bark and the rest peat.  If you're going to do 70 yards, I sure hope you've got a mixing machine of some sort, cause doing it by hand is going to be a bear.  Don't forget a good wetting agent.

I still think you'd be better off buying it bagged.

Dan & Lu Nelson wrote:
Lu and I are going to start selling hostas next spring and we are going to start digging and potting up soon.
We would love some feedback on potting soils. I can get 70 cubic yards of ground pine bark for $850 delivered. It is available fine ground and 1/2 inch ground. Which to use? Add compost and sand? or not?
I'm looking to the professions growers on this list for some feedback. We will be potting into one and two gallon pots.
Any tips on pH testing of potting soils, lime, gypsum and pH of irrigation water would be greatly appreciated.
We promise we won't run anyone out of business!
Dan & Lu Nelson
Pixie Forrest
Auburn GA