AHS On-line Auction 2002

  • Subject: AHS On-line Auction 2002
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:41:22 EDT

Don Dean has asked that this announcement be sent out to the hosta robins.
Any questions, feedback and donations should be sent to the 2 Email addresses that are in the body of the message below.  Sounds like more fun for all of us!

********************************

AHS On-line Auction 2002

The first ever AHS On-line Auction is currently being organized and set up on the AHS web site located at www.hosta.org . Specific dates and directions for the process by which you may participate will be included at this web site. The target date is set for the first two weeks of September to follow the anticipated arrival of the next Hosta Journal. Please be patient as the organizers embark on what is a new adventure for them in order to provide this service to you. Proceeds raised will be targeted for The Hosta Journal. We hope to net an additional $5,000 from this activity to bring the society budget back to even following the decline over the past two years.

Contacts, questions, plant donations:

Ken Farber, AHS On-line Auction Coordinator (763-574-1947)
kennethfarber@msn.com

Don Dean, AHS Auction Chairman (763-421-2475)
dedean@ties.k12.mn.us

Auction mechanics:
The intent is to model this after the Hosta Library and First Look/AHS auctions.
The site changes to www.hosta.org , and we hope to be able to accept credit card payments at this site. Go to the home page, click auction, read the terms, and follow the directions. All plants offered will be listed. Some new ones will be added throughout the duration of the auction, so keep tuning into the site. You will need to register with a "handle" or alias, valid Email address, and mailing address if you wish to bid. Directions will be prompted once you commence to place a bid.
High bidders will be contacted after the close of the auction that they have placed the highest bid by Email. The message will direct the high bidder as to how to make payment, credit card at the AHS web site or check to AHS c/o my address. Once payment is verified, the donator will be contacted by Email to make arrangements with the high bidder for delivery of the plant at a time mutually acceptable.
A complete accounting of plants, high bid, and payments received will be made to the AHS Treasurer and President at the completion of collections.

Plant Donations:
We are looking to keep these to a relatively small number, 35-70. Highly coveted, rare, hard to find, good breeding stock, and new breeders from your breeding program are being sought. These should be plants you anticipate will bring a minimum bid of $50-$100. I will personally donate a piece of the much awaited plant, H. 'Dorset Clown,' if we hit the 50 plant mark! We will respectfully decline offers of plants not meeting the fore mentioned criteria and may trim #'s of plants off longer lists from a single donor IF the need arises to restrict the total number of plants to 100 (time constraints of the workers).
To donate, simply send an Email to Ken Farber or myself. You will receive a return E-mail including a template designed to assist you in giving us the info we need to best represent the plant. This then becomes a promise, voucher, to ship the plant to the highest bidder.

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES are crucial for most of this type of plant to gain the attention they warrant. Take one and send it along with your commitment to donate a plant. We can work with both prints and digital sent via Email.

Thanks in advance for considering donating to this auction. Those who have participated in past Region I, First Look auctions found them quite exciting!
Enjoy, donate, bid, and support our organization.

Don Dean
AHS Auction Chair