Striped Gophers

  • Subject: Striped Gophers
  • From: "Judy Bygd" <bygd@execpc.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:45:42 -0500

Anyone who has a problem with striped gophers may be interested in the following:
Striped gophers are similar to chipmunks only not nearly as cute.  Striped gophers dig tunnels, only they just leave a hole in the ground and not mounds of dirt like pocket gophers do.  They do, however, like hosta roots.
Suspecting there were some around because of some hosta roots being chewed off over the winter, I was not surprised to see one emerge from a hosta bed recently and head for the ground under the bird feeder.  I immediately put a few kernels of corn in my small live trap and set it out.  Within five minutes I had him.
My husband, who usually resorts to trying to drown them out or shooting them, can't believe that they are attracted to corn.  He can get the pocket gophers with a gopher trap but hasn't found that method to be effective for striped gophers.  Fortunately, striped gophers aren't usually too much of a problem around here.
So far my total is four striped gophers in three days, just using a small live trap and a few kernels of corn.  Hopefully, I've got them all, but the trap is still out, just in case.
What do I do with them once I get them?  You probably don't want to know...