Slug Control

I was watching a show called North Carolina  Almanac Gardener on
Saturday's June 28. I perked up when I heard a viewer's question concerning
slug control using 'Sweet Gum' gum balls around hostas to control slugs.

All of the panelist agreed this was an excellent use for the dreaded gum
balls and it really works. The slugs avoid the spiny tips.

Surprisingly, I never read or heard of this recommendation before.

Has anybody had an experience with this organic method?

Maybe someone has finally found an answer to 'What to do With Gum Balls'.

John