From: falkora@smig.net [mailto:falkora@smig.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 9:39 AM
To: hosta-open@hort.net
Subject: smashed hostas

I hope someone can offer me some advice on what to do about a couple
of hostas smashed by a fallen tree.  The top half of a large spruce
tree was blown over in a storm last night, and fell right on top of
my best, most established hosta bed.  When I went out this morning I
thought the whole bed was ruined...all I could see was the spruce
tree.  When I finally finished cutting the tree into small enough
pieces that I could move them out on the lawn, I was amazed at how
little damage was done!  Only two hostas were badly damaged.  I had a
huge clump of 'Sugar and Cream' the biggest one I have seen and it
was just flattened.  Many leaves were just hanging by a thread and
I've removed those.  Others are laying flat on the ground (I didn't
realize what long petioles this hosta has until I see them flat) but
are still in one piece.  Should I cut off all the leaves?  Or prop up
the remaining ones so they aren't laying on the ground?
For the leaves that are broken off, many of the remaining petioles
are 8-9 inches long.  Should I trim them off at the ground or leave
them long?  I hate to give up on this plant (one of my favorite
fragrant cultivars) because there has to be a tremendous root system
under the ground!  The other hosta was 'Tattoo', which was completely
crushed.  All I can do with it is wait and see if any new growth
comes up.  But I expect I will have to replace it.
Linda Kofstad
S.Minn.