RE: Big and Beautiful Hostas

  • Subject: RE: Big and Beautiful Hostas
  • From: "Pinterics, Michael W (MED)" Michael.Pinterics@med.ge.com
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:18:44 -0500

Glen--

We have similar tastes.  I agree completely with you
on the majority of your opinions with the exception of
H. 'Nigrescens', don't fault the plant for it's scapes.
Cut them off unless you are trying to pass along those
genes.

I've tried ot think of a couple to add to the list and
it hasn't been easy.

I like H. Nancy Gill quite a bit, somewhat unusual in
leaf form and color.

H. Moonlight Sonota keeps impressing me every year
as it keeps getting bigger and bigger, wonderfully
ruffled at the edges and a nice dark green, throw in
a touch of fragrance and she's hard to beat.

I'm stil not too sure on Komodo Dragon.  I think I
like it younger than mature.  Waiting to see how H.
Dragon Lady grows up.

But yes these big'ol hosta do make quite an impression
in the garden.

Mike
Milwaukee