H. 'Blue Mouse Ears'

  • Subject: H. 'Blue Mouse Ears'
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:17:00 -0400

 This is the first year I have had bloom on H. 'Blue Mouse Ears' . The
flowers are worthy of the plant. Unlike 99.999% of all hostas, there is a
real fit between this plant and its flowers ; I have not  been tempted to
cut the bloom scapes off. Even crazy breeders who want better flowers (
another search for a philosopher's stone) tend to ignore the height of the
scape in respect to the size of the clump.Most hostas are clearly
schizophrenic with their flowers and the scapes not living up to their
foliage, or better said towering above that foliage like the Seattle Space
Needle. In the match of flowers, scapes, and plants I think that the
following four (out of ONLY TEN perfect combinations) are  the best
examples of a unified whole: H. 'Oh my Heart', H. 'Purple Passion', H.
'Raspberry Sorbet', and now H. 'Blue Mouse Ears'.

"Did you lock he door?" From the movie "The Thing". The one with James Arness.
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839