Re: Round-Up question

  • Subject: Re: Round-Up question
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:38:25 -0400

Hi Narda,
       Surflan is the trade name and the active ingredient is Oryzalin.
There was a fire at the plant where they make it a few years ago, and there
are still short supplies of it. The generic brands are pretty much the same.
Price for the 2 1/2 gallon bottle is a little over $200. That should be
enough for 4-5 years for you.
       Treflan is very similar, but is used in granular formations. The
chemical name is Trifluralin. Preen contains Trifluralin. There are
professional products which also contain it, like Snap Shot. Typically these
are sold in 50 lb. bags.
        Pre-emergent herbicides like these sit in the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of
soil and burn small roots so seed cannot germinate. If you disturb treated
soil after they are applied you should re-treat. Both liquid and granular
forms work great, allowing very few weeds to come up. They virtually
eliminate the need for hand weeding.
                                             .........Bill Meyer