Re: Round-Up question

  • Subject: Re: Round-Up question
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:10:57 -0400

Hi Narda,
       That sounds pretty unusual for Roundup/Glyphosphate, even if they
were using it at way beyond the recommended rate. I wonder if they were'nt
using something stronger and just said it was Roundup. There are extremely
powerful herbicides out there for use where roads are being built and such.
Those will kill almost any fauna that contacts them. Roundup is a product to
which plants have varying sensitivity. Hostas are not very sensitive to it.
Contact with the bark or roots of large trees, especially different large
trees doesn't seem likely to do that kind of damage.
       Our host and overly silent moderator Dan has a story about some
maintenance guys who wanted to use some stronger stuff. Feel like telling us
that one, Dan?
                                            ...........Bill Meyer

> In a message dated 7/2/2004 7:14:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> njhosta@hotmail.com writes:
>    What do you know about which shrubs and trees might be most
> vulnerable? Are any known to have serious problems with Surflan or
Treflan?
> I'm a little nervous with them around Rhododendrons and Azaleas because of
> the numerous small roots near the surface, but are there any we should be
> especially careful about?
> Bill,
> Not Gregory here but can tell you a story that might answer your question.
> My sister was the horticulturist for one of the big horse farms in KY.
She