Re: Hostas that tolerate dry shade?

  • Subject: Re: Hostas that tolerate dry shade?
  • From: Ray Wiegand <wie1086@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:47:13 -0400

Ray,

I have a bed in my front yard that gets no water and a few hours of afternoon
sun. I think the sun makes it worse than dry shade at this particular location.
Add in Maple roots for good measure.

What has survived well:
Honey bells
Gold Edger
Gold Drop
Platinum Tiara (after a couple of years stagnant)
Innis green (tc cull) -loves it
Invincible
Nakiamo
Antioch

I have another bed that is under a north eave-real dry and these seem to
survive
Sweet Susan
Albo-picta
Undulata.

Green or green gold, under 12" tall, with lighter substance, seem to work.
Forget variegation--Antioch seems to be an exception--yet it is hardly growing
with any vigor. I have given up trying to make hosta grow in these beds and
only lesser desired ones make it there. If they survive, so be it. The bed
under the north eave has been converted to native shade plants. Ferns,
Mayapples, Jack in the Pulpit all seem to work. Ostrich ferns are taking over
slowly with my approval.

Ray Wiegand