From: Chick [mailto:chick@bridgewoodgardens.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:28 AM
To: hosta-open@hort.net
Subject: Re: Hosta 'Cathy's Clown'

Ok, you got me started anyway.

It is my understanding that the name 'Cathy's Clown' becomes official
when it is registered or when it is published and the plant is described
in a printed catalog.  This last may have been changed, but if so, I
don't know about it.

I suggested long ago that there be a system for name reservation, as
there is for daylily registrations (or at least there was when I was a
member of that society long ago).  There process had limits and
restrictions and seemed relatively simple to me.  If the plant was not
introduced withn a limited time, the reservation was void.  I know that
some will say that this will lead to all the good names being reserved,
and I can only respond that it seems to me that this is already
happening, except that people now have to find a plant to register in
order to get the name.  There seems to be a competition to get the first
and last hosta names, and if you register a plant named 'Aaaaaaaaaaaah',
I will just have to find a plant to name Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah' so I can
be the first listed until you find something to name
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah'.  What's the limit, 35 letters?

I give my plants names long before I decide to introduce them, simply
because it is easier for me to remember 'Cathy's Clown' than "980205" or
some such nonsense.  If other people see the plant among my seedlings,
there is no way they will remember a number.  If, as has happened in
many cases, someone else registers the name before I am ready to do
anything with the plant that's just my hard luck and I have to think of
another name. Some obviously disagree with me, but I don't think that
selection, naming, and registration should necessarily all happen at the
same time.  'Cathy's Clown' has been named for several years, the plant
was shown at First Look 3 years ago.  But it just is not time to
introduce or register the plant.  I can come up with another name if I
have to.  The point is that this plant should be under my control until
I say it's time to distribute it.  I have never sold the plant to anyone
and have never authorized anyone else to sell it.

I want to emphasize again that I am not faulting Hilltop for selling the
plant.  But just because it was done unknowingly, doesn't mean that it
can go any farther.  There is really no way to stop anyone from doing
whatever they want, but as far as I'm concerned the plant that was sold
is not my 'Cathy's Clown' unless I say so, and if it is sold under that
name again, I'll just have to find another name for the real plant.  And
I will not do so quietly.