RE: Hosta 'Cathy's Clown'

  • Subject: RE: Hosta 'Cathy's Clown'
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:31:21 -0700

>The plants that come out of the tc lab vary greatly, and we have not
>selected the plants that will be named and sold. <snip> Frankly, most
>of the plants we have received from the lab have narrow and/or
>distorted marking and are worthless.

I'm interested in a different aspect of your problem.  Regardless of
how beautiful your plant may be, if it is so unstable that most of the
plants that come out of TC are worthless, is it really a worthwhile
plant to start with?  It sounds like your plant will greatly degrade
in quality as people propagate it and sell it after you release the
plant as they will also get the same variation in quality, only at a
lower rate and many of these lesser quality plants are going to end up
being sold.  Sort of like all the pale green and narrow edged crap
that is being sold as Francee.  It seems to me that you need to
significently propagate the plant yourself using standard crown
division to estabilish that it is stable enough to sell in the first

Joe Halinar