Rules of thumb in breeding

  • Subject: Rules of thumb in breeding
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:07:56 -0500

Opener's,

I ran across these "Rules of Thumb" in a letter I wrote a while back.   I was providing a grower with what his expectations might be from starting seed.

I wonder what percentage of truth there are to these statements.  Don't know where I got this info, but probably one of Kevin Vaughns articles in the Hosta Bulletins, amongst other places, including some little bit of experience.

Green hostas will usually produce green offspring,
Blue hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
Gold hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
Edged variegated hostas will NOT produce variegated offspring.
Only hostas that have white streaks (streaky) in the center of the leaf will produce variegated offspring.
White centered hostas will produce all white hostas which usually die in the seed pots due to a lack of chlorophyll.

Seems likely that white centered plants are coming more from TC labs, naturally occuring sports, and some mutations.
Just a reality check ... These are "rules of thumb" not to be confused with valid, reliable research, though such would be good to see, though I am unable to provide any at this time.

Andrew, in Des Moines