RE: Rules of thumb in breeding

  • Subject: RE: Rules of thumb in breeding
  • From: "Mary Chastain" <MC_Hosta@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:02:24 -0400

Andrew I would say that your rules of thumb are generally true. To help your
research, I wanted to share this fact with you. I have a plant which is
named Lakeside Black Mama. It got the name by accident. Over a period of
years when people came to the garden, I was often asked about the dark
seedlings that I was growing. I often said they all come from Black Mama.
Without my realizing it the plant became know as that so I did not feel it
wise to give it another name for registration. Now what I wanted to share
with you is that this green plant either selfed or crossed with other pollen
each year has produces several streaked seedlings. I am growing some of
these to see if they will ever become worthwhile. I realize that we do
sometimes get streaked seedlings from sources that are unexpected but since
this has proven to be consistent I feel it might worth thinking about.