Species -- forms -- sports

  • Subject: Species -- forms -- sports
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:10:08 -0500

RE:>>As you have pointed out, the variegated forms had to be sports of the species.
George -- I believe you were talking to Ben when you stated the above.  Did you mean to say "hybrids of the species" or "sports of the species"?   I want to get this right.

To George, Ben, Bill, and interested parties,

What is at issue for me are these terms--- "Species",  "Form"  and "Sport".

#1 - Species.  There are several acceptable definitions but for the sake of the thread that started out as "Rules of thumb for Hybridizing Hosta" I am focused on two methods for arriving at a reasonably acceptable definition of what,  in hypothesis, constitutes a "species" organism.

The first definition of species is used by biologists who utilize numerical taxonomy, attempting to classify organisms based on overall similarity through examination of morphological, visible traits.  The technical term for this method, I believe, is phenetics.  A taxonomist has the luxury, responsibility, and highly challenging task of classifying organisms into phyla, i.e. phylogenetically,.  through numerical taxonomy.

The second definition of species is used by biologists who utilize cladistics, or phylogenetic systematics, attempting to classify organisms based on their evolutionary relationships.  I don't know that people who subscribe to this technique are taxonomists but may be evolutionary geneticists.  I think it likely that those who utilize isozyme extraction and electrophoresis, and the interpretation of the resulting banding patterns fall into this group.   In addition, those, like Ben Z., who utilize DNA weighting as a primary taxonomic criterion may fall into this group.

The point is that it's important to be able to reach a consesus as to what constitutes a species with historically important tools, yet the time may be upon us soon that we are able to analyze mitochondrial DNA and build maps of plants that support or refute a plant being a cladistic species.

#2 - Form -- Are forms of species equal to sports of species?  Why or why not?

#3 - Sport - There has been no introduction of new genetic material and the DNA weight shuld be very similar (there could be some small reduction due to the mutation, but there could be no increase).  Sports can exist for both hybrids and species, but I personally would prefer to call a species mutation a "form" and a hybrid mutation a "sport".

Once I have these terms understood, then I'll move back to the question of a yellow ventricosa.  Wouldn't it be great if the nomenclatiure were a little easier.

BTW, George, I have been enjoying the phrase "loculicidally dihescent".   Very cool.

Ciao.  Gotta go watch the convention!
Andrew

I am thinking that my hangup is on the use of the term "form".