RE: Moving large hosta

  • Subject: RE: Moving large hosta
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:04:23 -0500

Hello Phil and Margaret,
In another life, I attempted to provide, with help from many others, tips and tricks from my web site http://hostahaven.com.  If you go there, then to the discussion forum, you'll see a page for Hosta HOW-TO's.   Click on that and you'll see info on overwintering Hostas.   I think you'll find it quite helpful for your second question.

As for the first, moving big clumps, this is a tough one.    First, large clumps are heavy, so can be back-breaking to deal with.  I have found that if I dig them out, then lay them on a large plastic bag, two people can lift them, or even one.  I form a sling around the plant's root ball.

I tie the leaves up with a belt when I'm moving one at a time, but you could use whatever, just so that you don't cut into the petioles.   Wrap them in strips of plastic, like that shrink wrap stuff.  You can buy that by the roll at an office supply place, most likely.   Wrap them first, then dig, then lift out onto the bag.   I have overwintered many Hosta just sitting on the bag and most do fine.  I wrap the bag up around the root ball and just leave the top open.  Make sure there are some holes to let out water.

Anyhow, that's how I would do it.  I would skip the pots, unless you really like a lot of work or need tidiness.  The bags I have used are like what wood mulch comes in.  If you can't find those, you could use heavy trash bags.  I assume you'll be planting this fall or early next spring, right?

FWIW and ... good luck!