my definitions for species and sports

SPECIES: A species is one or more populations of plants that
potentially can interbreed and give in that case 100% fertile
ofspring. The low fertility is one reason I could show that half the so-
called species of George are actually hybrids. The latter is shown
in my article on nuclear DNA content of all species of Hosta of
2001 that so far has not been mentioned in the Hosta journal. Well
I maybe should go to english lessons as George suggested,
although a study of american patriotism seems more fruitfull.
SPORT: a sport is a shoot deviating from the mother plant. It can
be due to chimeral rearrangement, mitotic recombination and
RARELY to a mutation. This defination was published and
discussed in the Hosta journal
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Institute of Biology,Leiden University, Clusius lab
Wassenaarse weg 64, 2333 AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Fax: +31-71-5274999. min temp -10C (15F)