Re: Moving large hosta

  • Subject: Re: Moving large hosta
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:32:13 -0700 (PDT)

next years plant is in this this years roots, if u
remove leaves then they will STOP making next years
roots and the roots will start to make new leaves now,
again taking away from the roots. any root cut off and
left in the ground is part of next years plant. the
splitting, cutting, (any form of damaging the roots)
of root balls reccomended with some trees and shrubs
is not appropriate for perennials.

if all that is true then getting the most roots out of
the ground is best for next year. dig a very large
hole then start to wash the dirt off of the roots,
while the plant is still sitting in the ground, which
will make less dirt which is the heavy part. now leave
it there until the water drains out of the hole and do
it again until u get tired of washing the dirt off.

the method i use for dividing plants that are in the
ground is to wash as close to 100% of the dirt off
which makes dividing easier without damaging roots.