Re: Moving large hosta

  • Subject: Re: Moving large hosta
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:46:30 -0500

Ray Wiegand,
You're giving out some very good advice in your message below.   I didn't quite undertstand the need for the "red strap", or how you looped it around the plant, but your point about not trying to lift the plant out of the hole, without some aid, is my point, too.

When I have to move a huge clump, I typically slide the bag I am using for a sling under the root ball before lifting.  I tilt the root ball back to one side, slide the bag under, and voila, it's ready for transport.  However, the idea of spliting into quarters and reassembling them at the new location certainly has merit.  And, if I could figure out the red strap concept... :-)

I have thought about inventing a rolling device that could be used like a tree spade; a person would roll the cart over the plant, crank down the spade blade, tap on the knifes with a sledge, and lock the blades into place.  Then the operator would hoist the plant with a racketing wench, and presto, an airborne Hosta.  Next, I thought of all the drawbacks and decided to continue to use bags.

It is an common problem, moving these large clumps... It has been good to hear how others have resolved the problem.

I am going to touch on what Bill has already said. A clump of hosta will
grow out from the perimeter as it gets larger. If you divide that clump
in 4 pieces, then replant, leave a few inches between each section. This
will allow the hosta to grow not only out, but also in to fill the gap.
In a relatively short period of time (probaly the following year) you
will have a larger hosta than you would have if it was moved whole.

Save your back ---cut it up.     Just one opinion

p.s. if you decide to move it whole --use  a red strap --make a loop
smaller than the clump and put it below the crown on the roots. 2 people
can lift it out of the hole without having to put something such as a
tarp underneath the plant. This worked excellent when I moved a Rhodie
this spring

Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!