RE: new introductions

  • Subject: RE: new introductions
  • From: michael shelton <wilddog_202@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

Ran you and other hybridizers work to produce "garden
worthy" plants and your place and value in the
marketplace is a "good thing".

My question is who appointed you or the Growers
Association to decide what is ethical. Before you get
to busy arguing with me understand that i don't
disagree with what you say.

As a hybridizer you must be able to get a premium
price for the plants that you work to bring to market.
But, since your position serves your self-interest
then there is a shadow on your position. Remember I
don't disagree with you.

The Growers Association of which I was a member has
such a varied agenda that it is limited to what it
will accomplish. Remember I don't disagree with what
they have accomplished. The Hosta of the Year is a
grand idea, but if one of your plants made it to that
position then your profit from it would go to the
tissue culture labs who would be producing the liners
and the growers who grow them on for retail.

The Growers Association has no authority to tell
anyone what to do even themselves. And I will aplaud
any thing they do that is worthwhile. You well know
that after a Growers Association meeting you can go
home and do anything you want.

The question of paying 50-100 or more for a plant has
nothing to do with what I'm addressing, which is since
you have no right to dictate or legislate what is
right or ethical then your opinion has the same weight
as mine. Snce it is in your self-interest to hold the
position you have "stick by your guns".

I AM saying that anyone who wants to take a different
path then I may well buy their untested plant and test
it myself if the price is right. Not the price that
you need for your plants. And I don't suggest that any
of your plants or priced to high or not worth your
asking price.