Fwd: [DAYLILY] Steve Moldovan-Services

  • Subject: Fwd: [DAYLILY] Steve Moldovan-Services
  • From: HoroRL@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:27:21 EDT

As a follow up to Steve's passing...

Rich Horowitz
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:39:59 -0400
Sender: An ICORS List <DAYLILY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG>
From: m_brooker <m_brooker@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject: [DAYLILY] Steve Moldovan-Services
To: DAYLILY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

It has been a somewhat hectic time for Roy Woodhall since Steve Moldovans
passing yesterday morning. How I hated to post that terrible piece of news.
But I was asked, and I did.  With the help of nearby friends and some
further away, all arrangements for Steve Moldovans funeral have been
finalized.  The details are provided at the end of this post.

Yesterday was a day of friends gathering around Roy to lend support, advise
and uplifting words.  Michael and Sandy Holmes drove from Dayton, Ohio,
picked me up, and we went to see Roy.  Curt Hanson was already there with
Wayne, another good friend and daylily lover.  Also present was Steves
long-time friend of thirty-five years, Marty, a daylily advocate as well and
a veterinarian.  We finished the day over a meal with stories of Stevehis
sense of humor, kindness, helpfulness, passion for daylilies, expertise, and
keen eye for color and detail.  One of His great accomplishments, PIECE OF
SKY, was talked about, and endless little anecdotes that endeared him to
us.

I personally learned so much from him about hybridizing.  He would answer
gladly and readily any question that I had.  Steve never talked about
himself and almost shied away from any praise given to him such that he had
a tough time listening when anybody complimented him.  He began hybridizing
before many of us ever heard of a daylily.  During our conversation
yesterday, Curt was remembering his first visit to Steves garden about 30
years ago.  At that time I was raising kids and had no thoughts of lilies of
any kind.

Many of you out there know so much more about his beginnings, whereas I just
learned some things after Malcolm and I met him.  We walked into his garden
in the summer of 1994, and I thought I landed in paradise.  We immediately
had him cornered, and a short lecture later we were hooked for good.  His
leaving so suddenly and unexpectedly has hit us hard.  I have said it
before, and I will say it again, The lucky ones get to go first.  In
reality, Steve has not left us, Steve has arrived.  He will always be in our
memories and we will continue to see reflections of his work for years to
come in those beautiful daylilies in our gardens.

We will be paying our last respects this coming week.  Services as follows:

Monday, July 17: Viewing from 4.00 to 8.00 pm

Misenik Funeral Home
36363 Detroit Rd.
Avon, OH
Tel. 440 934- 8000

Tuesday, July 18, Funeral services at 10.00 am
at Misenik Funeral Home

At the request of Roy and family, donations are to be made to the AHS in
lieu of flowers
Best Regards,
Gerda Brooker
Victorian Garden