Re: How to count veins

RonnieEA@aol.com wrote:
> Since I am new to this hosta disease, having been bitten by the bug just this
> spring I have only about 40 varieties so far.  However, I have already found
> that sometimes plants are not what they are advertised as. (Great deduction,
> eh Sherlock?)  The book "The Genus Hosta" gives the number of veins in each
> description, however, more often than not, the number of veins I count in a
> 'known' plant still does not match up with the number given in the book.
> Soooo, my question is - "How do you count the veins?"
> Thanks - Ronnie
You count only one side of the leaf.  Statr at the bottom, or the area
nearest the leaf stem.  Don't count the little fein that is traced just
inside the bottom of the leaf edge.  On a sieboldiana typoe for instance,
you should get 12 to 14 veins.  As there is a matching vein on the other
half of the leaf, these are called "vein pairs"  Remember, that the
published vein pair counts,are for mature leaves.  You m,ay be counting
young leaves, which will usually hafe fewer veins.  Hope this helpes.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens