Re: Hosta 'Princess Anastasia'

At 10:14 PM 7/4/98 -0400, AND REGARDING H. 'Princess Anastasia'
Clyde Crockett wrote:
It is a derivative of H. 'Ryans Big One', which makes it doubly special
since very few people can grow the latter.
>>---> In my seedling growing experimentation, I have one dumb project on
the go label'd [#45RBO-15vein].  In the F1 generation, the RBO parents put
out almost 100% large blue-green leaves and all white flowers.  In view of
this variety being my first hosta to bloom, at that time, this was a nice
trial of open bee-pollination (selfing primarilly).
       At present, I'm moving into the F4 generation, using 'Line Breeding'
in an attempt to purify the genes further. Having grown millions of RBO
seedlings up til now, I only have one yellow leaf plant and none were
variegated.  This RBO genetics is amazing, since a trial using H.
sieboldiana 'Elegans' (RBO cousin via sieboldiana species?) 50,000 seeds
greenhouse-grown, resulted in 9 streaky offspring.  BTW...RBO has a
seed-germination, running higher than anything I've seen to date in hostas,
sprouting in the 80+ percent category.  There's a funny part to this
story...the Landscapers & Nurserymen around here, who have been watching my
seedling trials very carefully, over the years, now want the F1 fifth year
plants.  Yeah sure guys...If I had a back-hoe, I would accomodate. They are
Giants now, and beautiful in bloom.  This new seed strain by the way...is
called 'Red White & Blue' but we have a small problem; in that the red,
does not seem to wanna appear in the leaves <lol>
     "Princess Anastasia"...is indeed a marvellous breakthrough, in my
opinion...if it came from Ryan's Big One that is?...because there are some
terrific genes inherent in RBO, not to mention the superb germination of
it's seed.  If anyone can get me a million seeds from PrA...I'll grow em
for you, and you can pick & take the best ten plants.  How's that for an
offer you can't refuse :-( huhHUH ???
     The medio coloring, coloring will appear in seed progeny, and looking
at PrA....the aspect for streaky offspring...might be there...yes/maybe?
<WiN>

CLYDE ALSO WROTE:
 BTW, I want to thank Bill Nash who gave me the confidence to get in the
  business of scanning. I wish he'd send more of his files!
   Clyde Crockett ccredux@aol.com  z5 Indy IN

FINAL TO CLYDE:
               It was my pleasure, to teach you what little I know about
digitizing images properly; and looking, at your imaging & comparing to my
own, you have gone beyond excellenantee..superb!  Sompin like "good better
best..never let it rest..til yer good gits better..and yer better...BEST"
-- YES?  Of course, photography plays an important roll eh Cuz; and
maybe?...having a camera, other than an instamatic "Also helps"? :)
               Cly, I know the amount of time it takes to take photos, scan
them and send them out?  On behalf of myself, and all your PIXLISTATEERS
(I'm sure?) "I'd like to say again!"...on everyone's behalf...
                 the work you are doing via sharing digitized images of
hostas, with the world, is beyond believe...simply 'GREAT'!
Quad-ZILLION-thanx from us all.
                There is not much left for me to photograph, digitize &
send to you, since you have covered all the good stuff eh guy? :(
                So CUZ?...tell ya what I'm a gonna do!...I'll start
photographing & scanning some of my seedling rubbish, which I personally
like? Will send this to you personally, to do with as you please?  And
BTW...I was serious, when I told you to buy a CD WORM machine...they
probably like 3 to 400 bucks in the States?  You can store 800,000,000
bytes on a compact disk...so how many images would that be?  "WORM" stands
for 'write or read memory" in simple words, you write to compact disks,
from your computer.  Disk will cost you 10 bucks...and you can sell em for
a hundred...neato :-(huh
                For starters, re: images from WiN...I have this selected
seedling from Sum & Substance; fifth year plant, having nice white backed
round round leaves, looking like those brazziere inserts the Gals used back
in the late 1950's...re: very cuppy?  So I chopped the plant in half, and
took it to John Kee, to take to convention, as a joke (to create some
humor?) a gift for Robyn Duback, from the Ontario Hosta Society, which she
is a member of.  Anyway, John phones me, saying THE PLANT WAS TOO BIG TO
FIT IN SUITCASE, so he is sitting on "ROBYN D-CUPPIN PLANT".
               JOKE FOR ROBY...John's a pretty heavy guy to lift when we
waz mud-wrestling, so my advise is "Take a deep breath, before he sits on
U"(:-D) per previous statement?
               Anyway, to get even with JK for not taking "D-cuppin"...I
have this other seedling, from seed John Kee (Ontario Hosta Society
President = 400 members & John's Chartership of 1995) and seed he gave me
in 95.  The seedling is from H. Mildred Seaver (streaky form) growing here,
and I'm naming it H. 'John Kee'.

CLYDE...I'll send you the two images of "D-cuppin" | "John Kee" and you can
decide as to whether or not, you wish to send them to PIXLIST...okidoky?  U
da pix-Boss...Man

,-B

[WiN] William Nash Guelph ON CA Zone 4 <raffi@sympatico.ca>