Re: Where's the pollen?

Joanne Pyszczek wrote:

> I've been trying a little pollen dabbing aound the yard and I have one
> question, why does it seem that I can't find much pollen on my hostas?
> I've played around with daylilies before so I know the basic procedures
> for doing crosses, but I'm having a hard time finding any pollen to use.
> Is it just the weather? I usually try to go out as soon as I get home
> from work, about 9am and the daylilies are perfect at that time. Not
> that I have anything exciting to work with, jsut sort of learning the
> ropes.
> Thanks
> Joanne
> jopyz@earthlink.net
I wish you had asked that today when you were here.  "Good pollen"  will
look like what you are used to on Daylilies, only the anthers are much
smaller on most plants.  You have to look close.  It is really much
harder to make crosses on Hostas.  For one thing, Hosta pollen tends to
ripen at different times of the day on different varieties.  Also the
stigma has to be "recieptive"  There will be a little drop pf liquid on a
stigma that is ready.
Ran