Re: Shade and Hostas

Mark D. Shulman wrote:

> Hi Hosta Friends:
>
> We often discuss sun tolerant hostas while acknowledging that they
> 'grow' in shade.  I have a good sense regarding the most favorable light
> conditions for growing hostas in my area.  I would be interested in your
> opinion on the following.  I have an extensive elevated deck on the
> south side of my house with the usual small spaces between the boards.
> The exposed side of the deck is beneith high shade from a tall red oak
> and hickory.  I recently installed a path beneith the length of the deck
> and filled in with good garden soil on each side of the path.  I have
> impatiens and lamiastrum galeobgolan (sp) now growing in these gardens
> and they are doing just OK.  Does anyone know which particular hasta
> cultivars might do well in this situation?

The Heuerman Garden in Peoria had a similar set upand it was gorgeous.
I wouldn't have thought the hostas would grow under the deck the way
they did, unfortunately I can't remember what she had under there.
If I ever have a chance to see the slides I took on a large screen
instead of a hand held viewer I might be able to make out some of the
labels.
Joanne
jopyz@earthlink.net