Re: Hosta Disease?

I have a hosta, albo marginata which has a problem. The stalks are rotting
off at the base of the plant. I just found it today. There doesn't appear to
be any insects or slugs and I noticed the leaves were turning yellow. I
checked closer to find the cause and when I touched the stalks they just
fell off. I looked at the base and there is some white stuff around it. The
stalks appeared to be rotting. Is this something I need to be concerned
about spreading to other hosta? Should I destroy the plants? I have two of
them so far in different places that are doing it. Both of them are albo
marginata. Any insight on this condition would be appreciated. Thanks
Jean Carpenter
Mountain View, MO