Re: What should I do?

At 05:02 PM 7/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>The other night my neighbors dog got loose and  made a bed in my hostas
>ewwww what a mess

Hi, Therese.  You should see what a cat will do to a hosta - the beautiful
foliage is flattened and spun about pinwheel-fashion.  They love to do this
to medium-sized blues and greens.  I rehabilitated mine by picking out the
broken-off leaves (cutting away the remaining petiole, where necessary),
cutting partially broken petioles off at ground level, and fluffing up the
rest.  For some torn petioles, you can wind tape around the shaft to
strengthen it and keep it from breaking completely (medicated Bandaids work
even better - the wound heals more quickly), because you may want to
preserve more leaves than the animal left undamaged.  The plants will need
lots of water to make it through the hot part of summer.

Sheila Smith
mikecook@pipeline.com
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6