Re: Hosta Disease?

Jean,
This is crown rot (or Southern blight as they call it in the South).
This is the time of year I see it in my garden and I have fought it for the
last 3-4 years.  I don't know where I got it, but it has spread.  This year I
am using a fungicide to try to get rid of it.  If you only have one or two
plants and they are not precious, I would say pitch them.
Kay Dye, Edelstein, IL Zone 5, always pushing 6

<<
 I have a hosta, albo marginata which has a problem. The stalks are rotting
 off at the base of the plant. I just found it today. There doesn't appear to
 be any insects or slugs and I noticed the leaves were turning yellow. I
 checked closer to find the cause and when I touched the stalks they just
 fell off. I looked at the base and there is some white stuff around it. The
 stalks appeared to be rotting. Is this something I need to be concerned
 about spreading to other hosta? Should I destroy the plants? I have two of
 them so far in different places that are doing it. Both of them are albo
 marginata. Any insight on this condition would be appreciated. Thanks