Summer dormancy?

Two weeks ago, I had a H. 'Gold Edger' suddenly go (to what it looks
like) dormant. All of the leaves turned brown and completely rotted off.
At first I was suspecting crown rot, but their were new purple eyes
poking through the soil just like the first thing in the spring. Those
new eyes are growing fine and the plant has doubled in size. Does anyone
know what caused this?

Mike Groothuis
Niles, MI
zone 5b