Streaked Scape

Well I have to share this with people who'll appreciate it. I showed a
friend my streaked scape on Striker and she just said "Oh, nice".
I know it's not all that exciting but it's the first I've seen in my
garden.  And I got a couple seed pods set on it, (once I was able to
get out early enough to find hostas with good pollen still on them).
At this point I've got no plan to what I'm doing, but do the experienced
hybridizers cross things that are radically different, i.e. Sum and
Substance X venusta, or do you work more with line breeding?