Re: Streaked Scape

Joanne Pyszczek wrote:

> Glen Williams wrote:
> >
> >    I have been bringing a lot of species back in to play as pollen parents
> > with my streaked cultivars aiming for specific  traits. Will let you know
> > in 4 years how it goes.
> >
> > Glen Williams
>
> I've started a collection of species hostas with something similar in
> mind.  Unfortunately they're all new acquistions this year so I'll have
> to wait till next year at least to really begin using them. I
> particularly want to be able to use H. pycnophylla but with some
> varieties that are slug resistant since at the moment H. Swiss Cheese
> would be a more appropriate name for it.  I also want to try
> some crosses with H. tibae to try to develop more branch scaped hostas.
> My visions of fantasy here.
>
> Joanne
> jopyz@earthlink.net
Some of the best Hostas for substance, are species like rupifraga and
tardiflora.  I especially like tardiflora, but it will not bloom untill
almost frost here.  That is why you should consider using the Tardianas.
 As they are a cross between tardiflora and seboldiana, you can access
some of the tardiflora genitics easly that way.
Ran