Re:Streaked Scapes

Hi Everyone,

Coming out of a lurk position,I think that there is something that
everyone has missed or misconstrued re the recent Streaked Scapes
Messages. I say this because no one has commented on some obvious
incorrect conclusions made in one of the messages. Let me recap the

Joanne admired her streaked scapes of Striker and asked if experienced
hybridizers used radically different type hostas in hybridizing, for
example, Sum and Substance x venusta?

Diane then suggested that Sum and Substance x venusta exists...it's
called Little White Lines.

Ran then stated "Mark Zilis (who originated Little White Lines) says it
is definitely NOT a venusta. Striker is from plants that were tc'ed as

My apologies, Ran,but I don't understand what "it" refers to...Little
White Lines? Striker? plants that were tc'ed as venusta? venusta?I'm
confused. But I am getting off my track of reasoning.

The point I wish to make herein is the apparent mistaken notion that
appears to be inherent in Diane's message...that if you cross Sum and
Substance with venustas, you get plants that are ALL???? like Little
White Lines. This is definitely NOT the case. Only one of the plants
within the population of hybrids was selected, named and became Little
White Lines.

This is no big deal...just an effort to clarify the contents of several
messages that may have given the wrong impression...that crossing S&S
with venusta always gives you Little White Lines...It most certainly
does not....Only crossing pure lines which have all genes in the
homogygous state would produce F1 hybrids that were all uniform
phenotypically. Apologies for use of a couple of  big words with more
than three syllables!!!

Jim Hawes Oakland MD