Seeds

I am making my first attempt at growing from seed. I have a few
questions. Is it best to start indoors? I have tried in one of those
plastic green houses under a flourescent light. Didn't work! Now I am
trying in box, without cover, under flourescent light (8 inches above).
How long should germination take?

Concerning gathering. When is it time to gather? How do I store them?

I am sure that someone can give some idea's

Ray